Pages

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Shortly before the publishing company went bankrupt:


“Didn’t think you could come, Steve?”

“I just rejected that manuscript.” he explained. “Saved me loads of time.”

Steve often chatted with mates about books he received. This one, about a magic school, was too conventional and old fashioned to publish.

“What was it called?”

“Someone and the philosopher’s stone...”


...
First time I've done this, but decided that I wasn't sure this said all I wanted it to after posting it. Had a complete re-write, and came up with this:



Steve couldn’t be bothered reading the whole manuscript.

It wasn’t bad, but was too old fashioned, and formulaic to publish nowadays.

Plus if he left now, he’d have time for a few drinks.

As he posted the rejection letter, he muttered: “Sorry Miss Rowling, Harry’ll have to be published elsewhere.”

1 comment:

  1. Not sure that I've quite got everything that I wanted in here, tbh.

    Had the idea a while back, when I read that numerous publishers turned down HP (for the reasons mentioned, amongst others)

    ReplyDelete